Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When the Cows......

SUMMER 2003.

I had just moved into my "dream" log cabin at the end of June. I thought that if I left any of the wild animals alone, I'd just watch them from my windows, and be okay. I had no fear of being around cattle, as we were always separated by a fast moving car window or a video screen. I know that they are the source of milk and meat, and for this I was always thankful.
Then one day I was driving back home from the city, and when I turned down the dirt road to my cabin, there they were....a herd of the largest cows I had ever seen. They were standing across the road, and gasp all around the front of my property.
I was terrified.
I turned into my half-block long gravel driveway, and was suddenly faced by a huge bull who was turned sideways, completely blocking my drive and standing between me and the safety of my garage.
It raised its huge head, and just looked at me. Was it going to charge??? I was terror-struck.....

That was all I needed to throw the car in reverse and get out of there. I lurched back onto the road and sped towards anywhere but here....."Wait a minute.....that is MY property!" I felt my anger rise within a block, screechingly throwing gravel I spun the car around again, and headed back onto MY property.
The bull and his buds were still there.
Having no pepperspray I slightly cracked my window and began singing an operatic aria as loud as I could.
The bull gave me a strange look and I could see the curiosity in its face. It hesitated a moment and then swung its massive behind to the side, letting me pass.
As I had not had a garage door installed yet, I had no idea if this was going to work.

Piles of boxes blocked my way to enter the cabin from within the wide open garage. I had to park, exit the garage the same route I entered, run to the front porch fumbling keys then enter the cabin...with the herd just yards away.
Much later, Pat and Felix, my mountain neighbors (and also educators in the at of being a MW) chuckled as they told me that these cows were tame farm animals, who would not harm me. They said that some farmers ouside our cow-free mountain community would "encourage" their cows to enter at a break in the fencing, to graze. The farmers felt that this was a good trade-off; their cows got fed, and we got our wilderness yards mowed for free.
The only trouble was....the cows always managed to leave a few 'pies' around for us to step into to show their gratitude......

1 comment:

  1. Lol. How many times have I run screeching into the night, day, whatever because of a spiderweb stretched across my doorway. One time I made my husband come home from work so that I could get into the house. I don't think he was too pleased about that, but home he came firetruck and all.

    ReplyDelete